The current Jewish Community of Weiden was founded in 1889.
The community was originally set up in 1948 by displaced refugees from Poland after the fall of the Nazi regime. Membership numbers fell in the years that followed and the community was on the verge of closure until 1990.
Fortunately, in 1989 Jews from the Former Soviet Union (FSU) started immigrating to the area, and the community has since grown to its current size of around 300 people.
Our synagogue building has 80 seats and a mikveh.
Rabbi Cantor Dr Daniel Katz is a rabbi, cantor and musicologist and has lived in Germany for 15 years. He is a founding member of the German General Rabbinical Association. He is an expert on Jewish liturgical music and his research specialty is the historical music of the synagogue. In 2011 he was the Silver Fellow at the Center for Jewish Studies at Harvard University, USA. He serves as part-time rabbi and cantor to the Jewish Community of Weiden as well as two other local German congregations